Hot pink superfruit? I think so!
a handful of frozen raspberries
a slice of watermelon
2 slices of avocado.
Açaí berry juice
Organic almond milk
Top off with almonds, blueberries, and pumpkin seeds.
Have a berry berry pink day!
Sweet Protein-Infused Green Smoothie
Green smoothies are popular chatter on the wellness blogosphere for very good reasons.
1) They are incredibly healthy and brimming with nutrient density.
2) They taste amazing when blended with ingredients you love.
Today’s recipe, my Thick and Frosty Sweet Green Protein Smoothie, puts a thick and frosty spin on the green smoothie. I add in frozen bananas to chill things down and pack plenty of leafy greens into my blender. In my latest YouTube video, watch me blend up this protein and nutrient-packed shake and then pop into your kitchen and try it for yourself!
Printable recipe here.
Clear Skin Sip
It’s a gluten-free, golden ticket to a clear complexion!
Coconut kefir restores radiance with live probiotics.
coconut oil moisturizes
lime provides toning vitamin C
mint packs vitamin A which strengthens skin tissue and helps reduce oily skin.
1 cup coconut kefir
½ cup packed flat-leaf parsley (leaves and stems)
1 cucumber, seeded if you don’t have a high speed blender
1 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp fresh mint leaves, or to taste
BLEND all ingredients.
Hangover Cure Smoothie
Suffering from Saturday night booze fest hangover? Give this hangover smoothie a go:
1 tablespoon coconut oil, to help brain function and balance glucose levels
1 cup Greek yogurt, probiotics help to bring back digestive balance
1 tablespoon chia seeds, also excellent for digestive balance
1 small banana, for potassium and to help soothe your stomach
1/2 cup frozen spinach or kale, to aid in detox and alkalinity
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, powerful antioxidants to help the system reverse yesterday’s damage
1 cup coconut water, to hydrate and restore electrolytes
Honey and cinnamon to taste, excellent mood elevators
2-3 ice cubes
Mix ingredients together in a blender and serve.
Oh My Veggies writes:
If you want to enjoy a green smoothie as a snack, you’ll want to use this formula: Greens + Carbohydrate + Protein.
For a meal smoothie, the formula is: Greens + Healthy Fat + Carbohydrate + Protein.
Add optional superfoods to any type of smoothie for a nutritional boost. Here are some of my favorite ingredients:
- Greens and Other Veggies – the king green kale, spinach, romaine, celery, swiss chard, mustard greens, dandelion greens, cucumber, wheatgrass, herbs such as mint, cilantro, parsley, and basil, etc.
- Fruit – bananas, apples, green apples, pears, kiwi, pineapple, peaches, mango, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, papaya, lemons, limes, grapefruit, orange, blood orange, figs, dates, plums, acai, etc.
- Proteins – plant-based protein powders (brown rice, pea, Sunwarrior, Vega, etc.), hemp seeds, chia seeds, nut butters, etc.
- Healthy Fats – chia seeds, avocados, coconut oil, hemp seeds, nuts/seeds
- Superfoods (Optional) – bee pollen, maca powder, lucuma, cocoa nibs, spirulina, chlorella, cinnamon, cayenne, young coconut meat, unsweetened shredded coconut, coconut water, avocado, chia seeds, hemp seeds, matcha tea powder, nut milks, sprouted buckwheat groats, raw gluten free oats, etc.
Green Smoothie Benefits + Chocolate Mint Green Smoothie recipe here.
The Super Green
Powerful detox action masquerades as another delicious shake from Prevention's Lori Powell (it's pictured here with the Berry Breakfast Smoothie.) The celery and parsley that contribute to its bright green color are diuretics that help rinse toxins from your system. Kale and mango are superfoods bursting with nutrition that support your cleanse.
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 15 minutes
1¼ cups chopped kale leaves (stems and tough rib removed), preferably Lacinato (also known as dinosaur)
1¼ cups frozen cubed mango
2 medium ribs celery, chopped
1 cup chilled fresh tangerine or orange juice
¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
¼ cup chopped fresh mint
COMBINE all ingredients in blender.
PUREE until smooth.
POUR into 2 chilled glasses.
NUTRITION (per serving): 160 cal, 3 g protein, 39 g carbs, 5 g fiber, 0.5 g fat, 0 g sat fat, 56 mg sodium